Most Common Injuries For Restaurant Workers

Most Common Injuries For Restaurant Workers

Although there are a wide variety of jobs within the food services industry, they are all related in some way or another. One of the ways that they are all related is that they all face similar potential risks for injuries on the job. While there is a difference in work between a head chef at a fancy restaurant and a minimum wage fast food restaurant employee, they both have the same kinds of risks in the workplace. Below we get into the most common injuries amongst restaurant workers and what insurance types you may need to protect yourself.

Types of Restaurant Injuries

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) prepared a summary of some of the major risks faced by workers at all kinds of restaurants. The following types of restaurant injuries are the risks that exist across every restaurant employee nationwide. The injuries that you can suffer as a restaurant worker are from: lifting heavy trays or objects, reaching across tables, lifting and moving tables and chairs, and possible workplace violence. Another type of injury that is common is burn or scald injuries from the stove, dishwasher and other appliances, such as faulty electrical appliances. You can also experience problems if you are exposed to hazardous chemical or toxins at the workplace. Repetitive motions injuries such as strains, sprains and bulging discs from everyday life in the restaurant are also common amongst experiences. Lastly, it is common for restaurant workers, specifically waiters or waitresses and bussers to have overexertion injuries as well as possible injuries from slips and falls around the restaurant.

Insurance Options for Injured Restaurant Workers

Injuries in the restaurant workplace can be devastating for restaurant workers and it can potentially put an end to your restaurant career. Depending on the severity of the injury, you may not be able to work at all. There are two types of insurance that your restaurant should have so that you can take action after a work injury.

?      Workers’ Compensation Insurance

This type of insurance covers a broad range of injuries that are included in the required work, illnesses and repetitive stress conditions caused by your job. You also do not need to show or prove that the employer was negligent to receive any workers' compensation insurance benefits. When you file a workers’ compensation claim, our staff at Restaurant Program of America will review the information provided in the claim.

?      Third-Party Liability Insurance

In order for a third-party liability claim to work, it has to occur with someone other than the employer to have been negligent that led to a work injury. An employee cannot sue their employer because workers’ compensation relieves the employer from that liability under the law. In third-party liabilities claims the employee needs to identify the third party that is at fault for your restaurant injury.

Insurance Options for Restaurants

If you are a restaurant owner, or work at a restaurant, you probably already know how important it is to have different types of insurances to ensure a successful business. People can get injured on the job in the restaurant industry because of the physicality of it and the appliances that are operated. It is imperative that your restaurant has insurance options such as workers’ comp insurance and third-party liability insurance for employees. At Restaurant Programs of America we can offer your restaurant several types of insurance services that you may need, from delivery driver insurance to liquor liability insurance. To learn more about Restaurant Programs of America, contact us today and visit us at one of our offices.